The scientific direction and vision of the LTER Network is established by the Science Council, which replaces the former Coordinating Committee.
The Council reserves ultimate authority for decisions affecting the Network, and may address any issue that arises from the Executive Board, the Network Office, or the participating LTER sites.
The Science Council has the responsibility:
- To provide leadership and planning for cross-site research and education
- To develop proposals for the conduct of Network-level science
- To interact with existing and emerging networks
- To develop products that synthesize Network-level data and information
- To otherwise manage the science affairs of the LTER Network
The Science Council elects the Chair, approves Bylaws changes, and recommends candidates for the National Advisory Board to the Executive Board.
A full description of the composition and duties of this council is available in the LTER Network Bylaws.